http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm
After reading about Hal Higdon's stuff for weeks on the Active.com forums, I think I'm going to switch over to this program. It involves some stretching, strength training, and cross training which are probably all things I need more of.
If I want to start this now... Should I just hang out on Week 7 for the many weeks leading up to the race and then do Week 8 on race week? I guess there's no point to that, I can keep going on. We'll see. I'm excited to stretch tonight... Lol.
Later!
I'm going to suggest that this is actually quite a lot more "running" than you are doing now. Going 2.5 miles at a stretch is definitely different than going 2.5 miles in run/walk mode. I'd try out the first week and see how it feels to actually do the work outs he suggests coming from your current fitness position. You lose nothing by starting at the beginning other than a reduction in injury potential.
ReplyDeleteI agree with everything you said. The reason I figured I might be able to do it is because he talks about just going whatever pace you can, not trying to go a certain speed. So I took heart at that. I'll try out week 1 this week and see how it goes, as you suggest.
ReplyDelete