Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Running Journal, Entry 2

Entry 2! I never thought I would see the day. I honestly spent a lot of time wishing that I could run sooner, but that's how I always start out. Then the dread sets in... Though hopefully it won't in this case, since I can run at school and stuff! It makes it much easier to not be distracted when you remove the distractions (ie. being at school, rather than being at home). Here's how it went:

40 minutes:
  • 3 minutes running at 5.3mph (I up'd the speed a bit ;)
  • 1 minute running at 7.2mph
  • 1 minute walking at 3.8mph
  • 1.0% incline (I had forgot to turn on the incline for the first 20 minutes, then I set it to 1.5, so I'll round to 1.0%)
I actually managed to reset my machine with 5 minutes to go (super sensitive touch buttons on the console), so I'm not sure the exact distance. I think it was around 3.5 miles though, like last time. Which makes sense, given that I ran the same speed for the same amount of time!

On the last running (7.2) interval I was about 30 seconds into it when the nausea set in... I had to grit my teeth and gun it for the last 30 seconds and I managed to not throw up or anything. I think it's better to get that feeling on the treadmill though then on the soccer pitch. Much more manly to do it when no one knows it is happening (except the handful of people that read this, and the handful that I told about it in real life).

The other thing that happened today was that the highest I clocked my heart BPM at was 187. Can someone tell me if that's life threateningly bad? Like it felt good, but I want to know if it's not such a great thing.

That's all for now. I'm shaky and my legs feel full of lactic acid. Get to work, boys!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think vomiting is a good indicator of a quality work out, so I'm glad you didn't get to that level, quite. The sort of rule of thumb is 220 - age = maximum heart rate. So you were probably ok in that sense. You just don't want to run the machine at top speed for very long as a general rule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It went down to the 150s by the time I started jogging again (like after the one minute of running), so I think I'll be okay. And I'm not feeling any ill effects right now either, so that's another good sign.

    ReplyDelete